Sunday, December 23, 2007

Yana's Birthday

Here's a pic of our two, Yana w/her "do" and Marina (in a rare moment of stillness). We had Yana's b/day party @ the orphanage, there were 10 girls and 1 teacher who loved to be included.
After the party we load up some of their friends into 2 taxis and "speed" off to our hotel room. It's night (4:30) the streets are loaded w/people going home from their work, and I'm in the front seat of Ramon's rice burner wearing out his floor pad as we plunge down Berdyansk hill.
We have our first girl party, 5 teenagers and us in a 4 walled room (confinement). The girls love the change up. What do you feed ukrainian girls @ this get together? Kielbasa, string cheese, pickles, russian white cheese chunks and tomato juice. We are a instant hit. They loosen up and soon the room is full of- cooties- (male observation from someone beginning to miss his tablesaw). These kids are our delight- they are so well behaved- yet they truly are enjoying themselves. We bought a dvd player and they watch a movie picked out earlier. There's games after that and both Fran and I notice one of the children quieter than most, Rita. This is where you have to be made of cold stone not to experience heart ache for these kids. Rita has very little emotion. She's 12, tall for her age, and very pretty. She has no brothers, no sisters, or parents. Yana is her friend which is why she was invited. Yana now has 2 parents who love her very much and she soon will "disappear". How else is she supposed to respond? How often has this happened to her? And why isn't anyone asking for her?
We wrap it up, and prepare to leave. Without a word the kids pick up after themselves(I like this). Bundled up we're soon in the narrow elevator for the last joy ride of the night. Just for kicks, I pretend to lose my balance when the elevator starts it's drop, open my arms and back into everybody, squishing them all together- much to their delight. They respond by pushing against me just when the ole' girl stops and opens. We all sort of ooze out @ same time- just innocent fun and only a few seconds worth @ that. But there was a belly laugh unlike one heard before- it was Rita. As we said our goodbyes for the night it was Rita who came to Fran and kissed her. Then she came to me w/ a hug and a kiss goodnight. Right there I done did it again and melted. I am simply NO match to a child who wants to belong, or one who just needs to feel what it's like to be hugged back by a papa.
This is the season of gift giving, a tradition handed down to reflect the ultimate gift given to us from heaven above. Would you remember to hug your loved one, and do it for Rita's sake?
Merry Christmas
Rick

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I have been following your story for some time now, from out here in 'blog audience land' and I am just thrilled for you. Your posts are wonderful and really paint the picture. My husband and I are also adopting from Ukraine - our appointment is January 24, hooray! We are adopting two known boys, ages 7 and 8. I have gone to Ukraine twice a year for many years to work with some orphanages there. My husband and I also have no children, this will be our first experience as parents as well!! Your posts have also inspired me to think about the future - and perhaps adopting an older girl. As you feel a bit outdone with a house of women, I will feel the same when it is three "men" and just one mom! I hope you will keep posting once you are home. May God bles you on the rest of your journey and bring all four of you home successfully! Oh, and please take a look at our blog - www.ourukrainianjourney.blogspot.com. Merry Christmas!! Kelly

Passanita Family said...

Wow! What a experience. A teenage party. Sounds like it was a blast and that everyone enjoyed themselves. It really does break your heart to see all those that you have to leave behind. You'll see Rita's face forever. We'll pray for her and continue to pray for you guys as your journey continues. Wesang a song at church this morning that reminded me of you guys. It's the one that says," We've asked and He is answered, all I want is to be where He is." You are certainly right where He is and He is showing Himself mighty.
We miss you terribly and can't wait for you to show off your daughters!
Your friends,
Laura and Rob

Anonymous said...

Rick and Fran,
We are praying for you and your two girls! We can't wait to watch God work. We wanted you to know that God said yes to our prayers, and we got a referral for Addie on the 13th!! She is 21 months old. She was on the special needs list because of some developmental delays. We hope to travel to get her in the spring. Thanks for praying! (I am on my mother-in-law's computer;I have a filter on my computer that won't let me make any comments.) Merry Christmas! Lyn

Unknown said...

Rick and Fran, what a wonderful birthday party for Yana! One she and her friends will never forget. We're praying for all Yana's friends, we know how heart-breaking it is to leave them behind. We pray the walls fall down for Marina, to also join your beautiful family! Praying with each step..
Love,
Debbie & Dale