Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Happy St. Nicolas Day

Today we walked up the hill to the orphanage. It really is a short walk. If it wasn't so icy we could make it in 20 minutes. The stray dogs (which are everywhere) are getting to know us. When we get to the road that is behind the church we have a couple that follow us. Even some of the older ladies are starting to crack a smile as we pass by. I figured out why everyone looks down in the Berdyansk. They have to do it in the winter in order not to fall. Every time Rick or I look up we slide. Now, I look down too. We have mentioned our drivers several times. There are two, a husband and wife team. They are great people, Romas and Streta. Their driving is not bad, it is Ukrainian. I keep telling Rick to stop looking out the front window. When your in the car look to the left or right but not straight ahead. Everything in the Ukraine is "the law says". Does the law give the cars the right away? Does the law give the walkers the right away? The answer to my questions is yes. You just compete for the right away. I don't care how young or old you are, the cars come soooo close to the people crossing the streets. I try my hardest to keep Rick out of the front seat, he is just too practical. He thinks the driver should slow down if there is a person in the road or a car that we are about to hit. I am less practical and pray the whole time I am in the front seat.

Today, the girls had a fun day at school. It is St. Nicolas Day. This is the day that St Nickolas and his side kicks that ride motorcycles to deliver a sweet treat gift under all the less fortunate people's pillow. The school had a concert today. It included Yana and Marina. I think it was all about St. Nicolas. It was beautiful. The younger children and the older children performed. Singing, ballet, dancing. Very festive. Tomorrow is another one. I hope we can make it. The teacher kept saying Marina. Tomorrow Marina is having her concert. I don't really get it she was in the concert today too. Today was Yana's and tomorrow is Marina's. I am sure that there is a Law in there somewhere. Everytime I don't understand, it is because of the law!!!!!

Tomorrow is Yana's day for the court. Marina is fully aware of this and is very happy for Yana. She is praying for the day as we are. I have been blessed with two very sweet girls. That doesn't mean they can' t be moody. We have seen moody.
Happy St. Nicholas Day to all of you,
Fran

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We hope and pray for a smooth and uneventful court proceeding with Yana. What a day for you all! We hope that you are celebrating right now.
As for moody (hmmm, we MAY have seen that a few times too....) I suggest always having a snack (fruit is great) and a drink of water ready for the girls. Elizabeth was pretty seriously dehydrated, even a month after we got home. We have to make her drink, even now. The snacks always seemed to put her in a better mood. (Blood sugar!)
~Jim, Jean and the gang

Anonymous said...

Fran and Rick,

When I commented on the Blog this morning early I thought today was your court day, I rushed in this evening to read about your day in court with Yana, only to realize it is tommorrow. I will now look forward to reading of the miracle with Yana tommorrow! I am blessed daily by your journey!

In Christ,
Tiffany

Passanita Family said...

Happy St Nicholas Day to you too! Glad you are looking down. Wouldn't want you to fall on your head again Fran. The performance sounds lovely and I'm sure you were both beeming to watch the girls.
We pray for a short and sweet court hearing tomorrow and know that Marina's day will come too.
Love of love,
Laura and Rob

Anonymous said...

Rick and Fran,

Nathan Moore gave me the link to your blog a few days ago. I am now just getting caught up in reading it all. What an incredible adventure. Lisa and I will be praying for you -- particularly regarding the legal stuff concerning Marina's status. We'll be praying that once you pass through the legal work regarding Yana that you'll simply be halfway there.

(Rick: we might get our second inspection for the C.O. tomorrow -- we had a problem with the first inspection that Steve had to fix. If it happens tomorrow, it will be good since we leave to go to Indiana to see Lisa's mom for the week surrounding Christmas. Will probably send off the rest of the photos to the Gazette when we get back from Indiana).

Blessings in the Lord,

Clarke (and Lisa) Morledge

Unknown said...

Rick and Fran,
We are praying for an uneventful court appearance with Yana. You are so lucky to see the girls performing and they must feel so proud to have their mama and papa in the audience!! Mentioning food, Irina loves pickle juice and never seems to have enough water! Don't forget to look down when you walk and just pray in the car! Driving takes on a new meaning in Ukraine!
Love & prayer,
Debbie & Dale

Passanita Family said...

Rick and Fran,
I am truly enjoying the details of your adventure. I now know how to get the best of Rick, just put him in the car and drive like crazy. I can just hear Fran telling Rick "Don't worry, just pray about it." I know the court date will work out great.

Rob and Laura

P.S. Fran please remember to take a picture of Rick when he forgets to look down and slides down the hill.