Saturday, March 8, 2008

On My Way Home

Here I am at the airport in Kyiv, with a 6 hour wait for my flight.  I got off the train at 6:00 a.m., then off to the airport, with no where to go until 12:55 p.m.  I have breakfast--as a passtime--and see the computers.  It is a great time to review my thoughts.  I haven't thought too much about what I have missed until now.  I am headed back to the land of plenty.  What did I miss the most;
my husband, my lovely daughter, Yana, my good dog, Ginny, and my pillow.  I also miss my family and friends, but they have all been there for me throughout this journey.  I have gotten to know them in a deeper, more intimate way.  

On Friday, the doors to the student visa possibility closed.  Not the director's fault.  She just lives in the land of "Law", where everything has official papers, stamps, documents, ink, etc.  There was nothing officially written on Student Visa.  There is nothing illegal about an orphan going on a student visa, there is nothing legal either.  The bottom line... nothing.  The biggest disappointment was the U.S. embassy, they were not prepared to help out, even though they said it was the way to go.  They were giving me Ukrainian mindset answers, not American.  There is a fact in Ukraine, the orphan children are Ukrainian citizens and have all the rights of a citizen.  There is a fiction in the Ukraine, the orphan children have the same rights as other citizens of the Ukraine.  There is nothing legal in an orphan getting a student visa, there is nothing illegal for an orphan child to get a student visa.  My head is spinning with Ukrainian Law.  Where do I go from here, I know where to go, home to America and pray.  I am dealing with a child's life, no guareentees, hopes that I will adopt her with out obsticales in February 2009.  I could take her case to the judge and let them decide if her 1999 registration should be honored.  The chances are they won't honor it and the people that made mistakes would get punished.  I am not here to punish, I am here for grace and mercy.  Besides that the punishment would fall on the director who made a mistake.  I make mistakes everyday, I don't want to punish.  Besides, the sweet, loving director reminded me that Marina is completing the 9th grade and could go to a dirty, tradeschool and live in a run down dormitory!  Power is powerful.  

I take Marina back to Hotel Berdyansk for our last night together for ? long.  We do not say a word during the taxi ride, we don't say more then 5 sentences the whole evening.  She is in a shell and I have nothing to help her get out.  We watch 3 hours of Animal Planet and cuddle up to each other on the bed.  At 9:00 p.m. I look over and she is sound to sleep.  I pray and watch her for most of the night.  She has a pretty face.  During the night she takes my hand and puts it on her cheek and holds it there the remainder of the night.  How can I help but love this girl.  In the morning I am taking her back to the orphanage at 10:00 a.m., she has a friend coming from another town that she has known since she was a child.  I am thankful for the distraction.  In the morning we have a talk.  I told her I was disappointed, but not defeated.  I know that by this time next year, 11 months from now, she will be an American citizen.  She will have more opportunity then she could understand.  She will be a part of our lives forever.  We will see her before the 11 months is up.  Then I bought her a cell phone, so that we could call her easily.  We were having difficulty calling her.  The phone is my phone, she is using it for 11 months.  We have already talked several times.  We were walking down the streets of Berdyansk talking to each other on the phone.  

I left Marina upbeat and happy.  She has been down many times in her life, but thank God she doesn't stay there.  When I called her from the train station, she told me she had had a great day with her friend and shouted out, "I love you Mama".  

I haven't stopped praying for a miracle, I see Him in all this.  I wish I could see the whole picture, but I know that while walking through the darkness of circumstances, I see God's light.
God is glorious and deserves the praises of the universe, even in my dark moments.  God is working in the lives of many Ukrainians too.  They are learning to trust in Him instead of their government.  That is very difficult for them, they were forced to trust the government for years and they were persecuted for trusting God.  God never left Ukraine, He loves His people and is helping them grow out of the darkness.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Fran! I am grateful for the sense of peace that you convey in this entry.
Kathryn

Kathie said...

Oh how I love the God that is working in and through you all. You all are in the middle of a great love story. We don't know how it will unfold but we stand in awe of the power of His love. Thank you for helping us love Him more. He will complete what He has started and it will be good.
We love you,
The Schweickert's

Passanita Family said...

We look forward to welcoming you home, Fran! We have missed our dear friend. What a testimony you are building in this young girl. One day she will be able to shout from the rooftops how glorious God is and how she was given such a great opportunity to have a loving family and worship her maker.
Safe travels,
Laura and Rob

Anonymous said...

Fran,
We really appreciate being able to hear the story unfold, and pray as each detail comes up. Have a safe trip home, knowing continuously He has it all perfectly orchestrated. He IS working.
Our church is doing the study "Experiencing God" right now, and it is so clear how we are to join God where He is already working, He uses us in those places, so He is working , and you have been blessed to join Him there, and be a wonderful part of it all, and then tell His story.
Right now, the song playing on the radio is "the voice of truth", the song from the movie "Facing the Giants", about the football team in Georgia who in spite of all obstacles played against a huge team, and won, even though they heard different, they chose to listen and believe the voice of truth, and fought against the "giants" The voice of truth says "this is for My glory, out of all the voices crying out to me, I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth." And Jesus, You are the voice of truth.
Love,
Tony and Gretchan

Anonymous said...

Rick and Fran,
We grieve with you and wish the outcome would have been better. Having faced a similar journey, we know that God placed the love in your hearts for Marina and He is faithful and will see you and Marina through.
See you soon,
Jean & Jim

Tami said...

I'm so sorry that you had to come home without your daughter, but am continuing to pray for your miracle. Have you been over to ourukrainianjourney dot blogspot dot com? They're working to bring home a son on a student visa. I thought they may have some insight for you.
((hugs))

Jeri said...

Fran, is there any way that Marina can live with the missionaries that you mentioned? Any of them? She will be your daughter but this delay is cruel. Take care and hang in there, Jeri