Monday, June 1, 2009




If you going to adopt in Ukraine I don’t think there is an easier time to adopt then this. This trip is a vacation for all of us (except for maybe Koyla). The weather is beautiful, warm but not too hot and the nights are jacket temperature. Since the church apartment that we were hoping to get wasn’t available until June 12th, we are living in an apartment about two blocks from the beach, two blocks from the outside mall, with small markets everywhere. The apartment we live in is in a housing project that looks old from the outside, but the inside is new. The inside is a simple Ukrainian home that is extremely comfortable. Many things about this area are appealing to me, especially the simplicity of lifestyle of day to day living. Notice I did not say the simplicity of women’s fashion that is far from simple. There is so much emphasis on beauty, sexiness, youth, worldliness, for the women, yet the men dress so plain and simple. Every time we go out we view a fashion show. The clothes don’t interest me as much as the shoes. Most of the women wear heals, the younger women where high, high, heals in their daily living. The lifestyle here is walking, and public transportation, the high heal shoe doesn’t fit the picture. Even the little girls and old women walk around in heals, just not so high. The outdoor mall has a smooth sidewalk, it was just redone last year, but the rest of the town is not smooth at all. Navigating the sidewalks in town is difficult with gym shoes on.
The days in the summer are long, the sun is up by 4:00 a.m. and about 9:00 p.m. it is dark. In July, August and September the streets are crowded with people. We are getting the benefits of the summer activities without the crowds. This is the Berdyansk that Yana misses. You spend all your time walking and there is something going on all the time to capture your interest. The beach is right here walking distance from the orphanage. As you walk to the beach there is dry fish everywhere along the way. It is so sad that life is so difficult here. I see in Yana how she loves this place, but she is mature enough to know that her life here would be hard. She has many friends here, but there are 3 that are real close to her. They spent the weekend at our apartment. The last day of school ceremonies were Friday, then the 4 girls came over to drop off their belongings and went on a marathon of playing and catching up. By the time the 3 went back to the orphanage they were exhausted. Yana asked Rick and I last night if there was any way to adopt the 3 girls. Two of the girls will leave the orphanage this year, the other one will stay. Only one of the 3 is eligible for adoption and she has a beautiful sister at the orphanage also. Knowing the tough life these kids have in front of them, it is difficult to leave them behind. Yana is willing to get a job to come back for them. My prayer is Yana will always have a heart for these children.
Yesterday we took Koyla to the waterfront, where there are games and rides. It doesn’t take too much communication to have fun. He had a really good time. This is his first time seeing the waterfront in Berdyansk or going on rides. He is in for a shock when he gets home. Can’t even imagine what Busch Gardens is going to look like to this little guy. Every day our relationship is growing. It is pretty uncomfortable for both him and us. Little by little we are getting to know how to break the silence and communicate our thoughts to him. He is doing the same. We are spending a lot of time with him without Yana. The nice part is if we get stuck we can call Yana and she will translate.
I have been up since 4:30 a.m., washed some clothes (by hand) and have to wait until Yana is a wake to hang them (outside). Fortunately our landlord and his wife came over yesterday, a very sweet couple, and she insisted that she wash the difficult clothes in her machine at home. When we came home from the orphanage, I looked out the window to find our clothes were hanging outside on the balcony.
Sunday, we will go to church and hopefully we will be able to visit a woman that Yana calls Grandma. She is not Yana’s grandma, but she is a sister to her real grandpa. The women used to have Yana come for dinner when she lived in the orphanage. Yana has very fond memories of the woman. Yana is touching bases with her past, lots of emotions. It is a privilege to walk this journey with these children, even when it is difficult.

The one picture of Rick and Koyla gives you an idea of the size of Koyla to his papa. The class picture is taken on step up day, this happens on the last day of school in all Ukrainian schools. The dress is traditional. This is Yana class they will all leave the orphanage. They all look like children to me, not ready to be on their own. Yana got to share the festivities, even the hair piece.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Rick and Fran, what beautiful pictures that speak volumes. How nice Yana can be with her friends and others she loves in Ukraine. So glad to hear you are enjoying yourselves on the beach with warm weather! Koyla won't be so little once he gets to America and good, nutrious cooking! He is adorable! Bless you, thinking and praying for all of you!
Love,
Debbie & Dale

Passanita Family said...

Sounds like a great vacation! Glad Yana is having fun and that she can see her friends and be part of their celebrtions. Koyla looks pretty happy in the picture with Rick and I'm sure he has a million things on his mind. I know he will be a wonderful addition to your family. Enjoy the beach! Hopefully Rick has found the unending cup of coffee somewhere.
Laura and Rob

Karen said...

So glad you are enjoying the fun and the sun...praying all comes together quickly! :)

Elliott said...

O Lord, you have examined my heart
and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I’m far away.
You see me when I travel
and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say
even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!
I can never escape from your Spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!
If I go up to heaven, you are there;
if I go down to the grave, you are there.
If I ride the wings of the morning,
if I dwell by the farthest oceans,
even there your hand will guide me,
and your strength will support me.
I could ask the darkness to hide me
and the light around me to become night—
but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.
To you the night shines as bright as day.
Darkness and light are the same to you.

You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
You saw me before I was born.
Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
before a single day had passed.

How precious are your thoughts about me,[b] O God.
They cannot be numbered!
I can’t even count them;
they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
you are still with me!

O God, if only you would destroy the wicked!
Get out of my life, you murderers!
They blaspheme you;
your enemies misuse your name.
O Lord, shouldn’t I hate those who hate you?
Shouldn’t I despise those who oppose you?
Yes, I hate them with total hatred,
for your enemies are my enemies.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
Point out anything in me that offends you,
and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

I love you all and may Gods face shine upon you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick, Fran,Yana and Koyla..after reading your entry and Elliots comment there's not much more to say except I wanted you to know I'm happy to be able to follow this journey with you all..there was a plan and God knew all along what you were supposed to do and then things got easier. You have a beautiful family..can't wait to see you all..Love ANGIE

Anonymous said...

Hello to the beautiful Rahn Family....Gloria and I are so happy for all of you...enjoy these moments and this "vacation"...

Please add my father in your prayers..he is back in the hospital, had cardiac cath with severe blockage..schedule for open heart surgery on Thursday..for bypass x 4 vessels and valve replacement x 1-2.He is a strong man @ 84yo and is in great spirits about this...