Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Good-bye Luda

I thought Monday was hard, saying our good-byes to all the children. We had to go back to the orphanage today and sign the release papers. It was really perfect none of the children were around. We had to wait for the director, she was busy. About 5 minutes into the wait, here comes Luda, she is the sweetest young girl. Since I had to spend my past weekend at the orphanage with Koyla, I got to spend lots of time with Luda. On Monday both Luda and I held back tears when we said good-bye, but today neither of us held back tears. As we were leaving Galina, the director said Luda, maybe Fran will find you a family in America. Luda said "No one will want me". I was thankful that Victor never translated that conversation to me until we were walking to down town Berdyansk. I would have really lost it.

As the day progressed I became a professional at saying "NET". Like most orphans that get adopted, the new idea of money to spend, overwhelms them. It is difficult not to spend money on them when they leave with nothing. You need a few toys so they are not bored, clothes so they smell and look good and we need to entertain ourselves while we wait, therefore like all children, Koyla wants everything we walk by. There are many more nets (no), then dahs(yes). and after every net there is a sad looking face like this child is deprived of everything. Many of the things that Koyla wants he will get when he is in America, but I am not going to carry it home. With the language barrier he thinks he will never own anything. I just rattle away in English that you will have one of those in America and he gives me those sad eyes, he has no clue to what I am saying. By the time Victor joined us, he had stopped asking. The big one today was a life jacket. He wanted me to buy him a life jacket. When we got home Rick had written me an e-mail saying he bought new fishing poles and is getting new canoe racks for the van, now all we need is life jackets and he and Koyla are set to go fishing when he gets home. That is Koyla's number one hobby. He told Victor today that fishing is more important then games!

Today we were to call to find out what day we get Koyla's passport, Saturday or next Tuesday. Another twist in plans, it is probably going to be Friday of this week? There is still a question mark at the end of that sentence though, we have to call Friday morning to find out for sure. Planning is just not something that comes easy when your in Ukraine. Flexibility is always the best policy, even when it cost you lots of money. My vote is still for Saturday. I like Berdyansk arrangements and there is plenty for us to do. Staying at the church apartment is luxury and inexpensive. If we get the passport we will go right to Kiev on the train Friday night instead of Saturday. It is a long trip and the price of the taxi is more then 2 nights in Kiev. I can't even imagine how many times I will have to say "Net" in Kiev. The less time we are there the less nets. Koyla does know the word no, net makes no more firm to me. I like to be firm when I say no.

Koyla's movie is over, so blogging is over too. It's time to play tarts, having a boy is going to be as much fun as having as having our sweet Yana. Thank you God for such a blessing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fran,
I still remember the tear filled goodbye with Vika at the orphange. Did you happen to hear anything about her?
I pray for God's timing in the return. Being a single parent isn't easy and I know you are anxious to be reunited as a family in your home.
We can't wait to see you!
Blessings,
Beverly
PS Thanks for the pictures.

Anonymous said...

You write so beautifully, Fran, and it brings back the memories and all the emotions of those early days! It's so hard saying goodbye.

Hopefully we'll see you real soon. Safe travel for the rest of the trip!
Blessings,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Fran,
Your words touch my heart and I can see the pictures you paint so clearly.We will certainly keep Luda in our prayers!
Boys are SO much fun! God really did design us differently and you and Rick are so blessed to have both a son and a daughter now.
Trent has introduced me to the worlds of fishing and hunting so I know you have a lot of good times in store. Praying for a safe and speedy trip home!

Love,
Robin

The Quirams said...

Fran,

We are so excited for you--your journey, with its tears, laughter, and blessings will stay with your entire family forever. We will pray that Luda finds a family soon. what a gorgeous child! Kolya sounds almost American already. "Can I have this?" You're a good Mom! We love and miss you. Charlene

Anonymous said...

Fran,
Your blogs are full of such wonderful details that we feel like we are right there with you and Koyla. We were touched by the new family you have now in Ukraine and how they love you and Rick for adopting Yanna and Koyla. Your navigations skills through all this are amazing! Praying for your trip home.
Blessings,
Alan and Patricia

Passanita Family said...

Saying goodbye is always hard and the thought of the hopelessness is heartbreaking. God however has the ultimate plan!
Love hearing all the stories and can't wait for some of those "all boy" times. Yuri loves to fish too and has resorted to picking out the perfect stick and tying whatever he can find on it. He tried a plastic bag when we were in Florida. Guess it comes naturally for boys to want to fish!
Blessings to you both,
Laura, Rob and boys