Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Burning the Bridges

When I started this journey, I thought that I would go to the Ukraine and get 2 daughters, then return to life in America. I knew that it was going to be a change, after all 2 teenage girls with a different language living in my home that was definately going to be a change. I was mentally ready for that. I thought 2 months leave of absense was plenty of time to make the changes, adjustments, and then move on. I never dreamed that my life would change this much. I have one wonderful daughter, Yana and I am battling another country for my other daughter. My leave of absense became 3 months, but the battle continued on. My 3 months leave is over and I am on my way back to the Ukraine. Major change, I had to leave my job! That was never part of my plan and today when I walked out of Chambrel, leaving behind the last 10 years of my life, I was once again broken. Chambrel is a senior living community filled with some of the best people in the whole world. They have become some of my best friends and certainly the people I have the most respect for. I know that I have grown in so many ways because of the great people that live at Chambrel. I will also have to say that I think I have become an expert on growing old too. Who ever thought that I would be going back to the Ukraine one month and 6 days after I left the Ukraine. This is a journey and it is God's journey. This summer I am going to get on all the roller coasters at Busch Garden to see if any of them come close to the highs and lows that I have had these last 3 months. I am an emotional roller coaster. I left Chambrel and drive home to find an e-mail from Marina. " Mama, I am okay, I don't have time to write I have an English test and have to study. I love you, Marina. " The low becomes a high and my feet hit the ground running to prepare for the next leg of my journey. God never leaves me in the lows too long. I can't stay in the lows too long, Yana is an absolute clown. She never fails to give us at least one good belly laugh a day, most of the time it is two or three.

One week from today I will set out to the Ukraine. I look forward to seeing the people we left behind, the orphan children (especially Yana's friends) and especially Marina, the wonderful people at the church and many others. I don't think I am looking forward to the cold. It is getting pretty nice here in Virginia. The cold weather in Berdyansk is a small price to pay to go back and see Marina. I can't wait to see the turns and twist that this leg of the journey are going to take. Whatever they are I know that this is all God's plan, I am just the instrument that He is using to accomplish His will. He is writting the story.
Fran

11 comments:

ArtworkByRuth said...

So sorry to hear about your job loss. I too lost my job after ten years while on FMLA due to a merger! I think that change was harder on me than focusing on my new son! You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers!

Karen said...

Hope to see you soon!! The Weather over here has been surprisinly pretty warm..we seem to be pushing into the 30's now and have minimal snow! Not too bad! :) I'm sure we'll get to connect in Kiev this time-- Nancy has my numbers, so I hope we can meet up. Safe travels and I'll be praying all goes well!
Blessings!!!
Karen

Passanita Family said...

I'm sure leaving Chambrel was hard for you as you have poured yourself into so many lives there. I'm sure you will be missed.
As your trip approaches you can be assured we will all be praying for you and know that God has a very special plan in place already. It is great to be able to share your journey with you. You've certainly gotten my boys wrapped right around your finger and I'm sure your daughters will be so blessed to have a mother like you! You go girl!
Laura

Caroline said...

I don't think you're burning bridges. You're just building new ones. I'm sorry though that you've had to leave a job behind that you loved. How wonderful to hear of just everyday life with your Yana--what a sweetie!
We continue to pray for you, your trip, and your Marina.

Dave said...

I was a little nervous when I started reading your blog today. I thought the bridge that was burning was the one to Marina. I'm so thankful it's not. I am sorry, though, about the pain you have from leaving Chambrel. Praying for you to continue in hope. Please pray for us too--having a tough time right now.
Gina

Erica said...

We are so sorry about the loss of your job. As evident by your posts, you have a huge heart and will surely be missed by all the residents at Chambrel. Right now seems to be a tough time for many of us as we are longing to be united with our Ukrainian daughters. For some reason, this seems to be a hard week for many of us. We will continue to lift you up in our prayers. Please keep us posted on the events to come. We long to celebrate with you on the day that you are united with your other daughter!

Dave said...

Thanks for your comment on our blog. And thanks for being willing to talk with Alina. I would be interested to hear what she recommends. I'm not really sure if we should try to make things happen, or if God is wanting us to relax and wait for something He's already doing. I know there are times to fight (in faith), and there are times to rest (in faith). You have Marina's face, so it is understandable that you feel called to fight. With the possible positive changes coming in April that you talked about, maybe that will bring good news in our situation. Or are we supposed to push somewhere or someone? Please pray that we would have wisdom.
Thanks for your encouragement!
Gina

dr. david said...

I just found your blog. We are also, a 50-something couple, trying to adopt two teen-age daughters from Ukraine. Your faith and courage are such a testimony to our Lord's working in your life. Thank you for your example. We will hold your family up in our prayers. We will be praying for you especially as you travel and have time with Marinna. We will be praying for a miracle.
Cindie Wolff

Jeri said...

Fran, leaving your job will open the door to the time for devoting to your new phase in life as mom of two teen girls that need you there. Yes, there are bills to pay and you guys will figure that out. Enjoy this time of bonding with Marina and with all of you together when you both get home. Jeri

junglemama said...

Sorry about your job. I amexcited to hear you going back to Ukraine. Did you get an SDA appt afterall? Are your bringing home your daughter?

Debora Hoffmann said...

Fran, we'll be praying for you! I hope you are able to post updates every now and then so we can pray specifically. I'm sorry to hear of your leaving Chambrel, but I know that you'll be able to pour more of your time and attention into your daughters for a while, and that can only be a real blessing for all of you. Thank you for sharing your journey with us!