Monday, January 14, 2008

Preparing to Leave

We have had a great weekend together as our 2 daughters have been with us since Friday. Rick is already talking about when the girls grow up and leave home and how aweful it will be to be an empty nester. I have to keep reminding him that for the last 25 (almost) years we have been empty nesters, it will be how we have known it. He has decided to put a fence around the property so the boys won't see his girls.

I must share with you that God has been really good through all this. Our time at the Berdyansk Oraphanage has been sweet. We are there so much that even the teachers are hunging us. The orphanage goes the extra mile to make the children feel special and build self-esteem. Yana and Marina tell me that they have teachers they love. I am so grateful for that. I see my 2 girls and how well behaved they are. They have good manors and are sweet. We went over to Ernie and Anna's house for dinner yesterday. The girls just melted them. They both wanted to help Anna with dinner and with the clean up. Of course, Ernie and Anna are wonderful people that melt hearts too. They had the girls laughing and having so much fun with in minutes of walking in the door. What a great time. When we got home 5 of the kids from the neighborhood came over. They watched movies, played Uno, laughed and sang to the music. Yana was in her glories. She has grown close to these children. In the mean time Marina gets to spend quality time with Mama and Papa. She needs alot of attention and assurance right now. While we were in church sunday ( the sermon is in Russian) our souls were being touched. Rick was all teary eyed from how God was moving in his heart and God gave me a peak at Marina's past life. We sat down with Marina and talked to her about the knowledge I gained in church. God gave me a pretty clear picture of Marina's upbring and what happen to her family. It is very touching. Since we didn't have a translator in church we didn't know what was said. Today, monday, I found out it was a sermon about the woman that Jesus met at the well. Jesus said to her, I know all about you and your past too. The pastor took it to Jesus feeds our soul, He speaks to us. Isn't that just like our God.

That is going to take me to this statement. Rick and I are on a journey that was brought on by God. We were not out to adopt 2 children. The journey has had highs and lows that have brought both of us to the darkest moments of our lives, not exaggerating. I have never in my life been to this horrible dark place. We were able to hang in there because we would force ourselves to review the character of our God, and all of you reading our journey continually remind us of scripture and verses that reveal the character of God. We have not come in with any false hope or thoughts that our God is up there to make us happy. His joy is there in the good and bad times even the unhapppy times. There were days that we couldn't feel His joy, but we knew that He would reveal it to us, we just had to be open to it. Before I left Williamsburg, in writting, I asked God to give me a journey that would draw me closer to Him. He has answered my prayers. Today we are in His joy. Tonight we say good bye to Marina, for now. I packed a bag for her with the pajamas, the night bag with her personal care products, things that she wants to bring her cousin in Florida, Dakota, and the radio that we bought that gave us pleasure of having music. This bag is not to be used until we get back and bring her home. She is to hide it for that moment in time. We will cry, but we are leaving with her knowing that we adore her and love her and that she is our daughter as much as Yana is.

We will be on the train, we hope by Tuesday evening and in Kyiv Wednesday morning. I am not sure when we will be home, it will be soon. This is not the end of our journey, and we can't give the date it will end. We are still believing in a miracle.

Your continued prayers are appreciated. If I could have a big party when this was over and all of you come, that would be day of rejoicing. Many of the bloggers are strangers in the world, but not in Christ. You are all special to us.
Fran

16 comments:

Tami said...

I am so sorry thing haven't worked out to take Marina home right now, but I am glad you have felt His peace and guidance in this situation. We'll keep praying for you and Marina as you go home...and we'll be praying for Yana in this transition. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Rick & Fran, we thank you first of all for sharing what you've learned from the Lord throughout all of this. You are so honest and so strong in Him. We are delighted that Yana is on her way!! Packing the bag for Marina to hold on to is such a tangible sign of hope and confidence for her, very wise and loving on your art. Our God is an awesome God! We thought of you throughout church yesterday as we sang out LOUDLY about how great is our God ! Kathryn & David

Kim said...

Continuing to pray for you. I can't imagine the joy of going home with one daughter but at the same time experiencing the sadness of having to leave Marina behind - for now!

Passanita Family said...

Rick and Fran,
We are rejoicing with you over Yana and are with you in your longing for Marina. Our God is so good and He will keep her safe until the time He has chosen for her to join you. It's amazing how He reveals things to us. Sharing your experience with us has been wonderful and we will definitely be at the party!
Laura and Rob

Erica said...

We are trying to adopt from Ukraine and know how overwhelming and disappointing things can become. Following your blog has been a source of strength for us because your trust and faith in God is remarkable. We are praying for your family. We cannot imagine what it feels like as you have to say a temporary goodbye to Marina, but we are praying that God will descend upon her and provide her with protection, comfort, and love in a way that she has never known.

Anonymous said...

Rick, Fran, Yana & Marina -- in paraphrasing Psalms 30:5, Bill Gaither wrote: "If you've knelt beside the rubble of an aching broken heart . . . you're not the first to be aquainted with sorrow, grief and pain. But the Master promised sunshine after rain." Sheila and I are rejoicing and grieving with you, and are looking forward to "Joy in the morning" also.
Love & Blessings . . .

Unknown said...

Rick & Fran, how you have poured God's love over Marina to keep her safe and within His peace until it is His time for her to join you. Blessings to Yana who must be jumping and smiling for the joy of returning home as your daughter. Sharing your journey has been a testimony in itself. Praying for all of you as you make your way home.
Blessings,
Debbie & Dale

Anonymous said...

We adopted Dasha Lehman from the Berdyansk orphanage last April. We also adopted her brother from the Molachansk orphange. We too, however, had to leave a daughter behind. We had hoped to adopt Natasha Shvaika, but at the time she was not in the registry. She will turn 16 in February.

I met Marina when we traveled and even play soccer with her. She's quite an athlete. And I have to say that I've never heard anyone talk so fast in my life!! She's a beautiful girl. I pray for your strength as you transition into parenthood with Yana and continue to seek to bring Marina home.

God bless you for opening your lives to these girls.

Sharon Sabatini
Raleigh, NC

Anonymous said...

RICK,FRAN,YANA&MARINA.THANKYOU FOR SHARING YOUR JOURNEY WITH THOSE YOU LOVE AND THE WORLD.YOUR FAITH IS SO STRONG AND HAS OPENED MY HEART EVEN MORE..WE RECEIVED YOUR E-MAIL..YOU CAN COUNT ON MY PRAYERS..I HAVE HAD THE FLU AND LOTS OF TIME TO REFLECT AND PRAY..LOVE ANGIE

ArtworkByRuth said...

Thank you for sharing your journey. Some times words are not enough to express all that we are feeling. You all are still in our prayers. God Bless!

Q's News said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Q's News said...

OK - sencond try for my comment tonight ;-) Had a little spelling problem and I know what a stickler Rick is...

We are continuing to pray for you and your situation. Life went into high gear when we arrived back in Kyiv - so we'll pray for that too!

Look forward to seeing you and your daughter (hopefully daughters).

Tim and Charlene

Anonymous said...

I am praying for all four of you. I know God is with you. I look forward to meet the girls. Congratulations.
Love, Aunt Della

Anonymous said...

Dear Rick and Fran,
It is early on Wed morning here and the kids will soon be stirring. I woke up around 1:30 this morning. The Lord really put you on my heart and so I prayed again for your family. Psalm 138 came to my mind where it tells us that the Lord will fulfill His purpose for us and that He does not abandon the works of His hands because His love endures for ever. we are rejoicing that God has knit four hearts together to form a new family and we share the heartache of knowing that Marina may be separated from you for a time. We are still praying for a miracle in His timing. I know your family remains in the palm of His hand!
Love, Robin D.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick, Fran and Yana,
Hurry home, we can't wait to see you and meet our new niece. We have been reading your blog almost on a daily basis and can't imagine what you have been going through. The bureacracy and politics in this world makes things almost impossible to deal with. Red tape is only an excuse for anything that does not take on urgency. Keep plugging away. We will keep praying.
Tony (Jamestown)

Anonymous said...

Dear Rick Fran and Yana
First, I want to welcome Yana to our family. I'm so excited to meet our new niece and share the love we all share as a family. I can't wait to see you and give you a big hug.Even though you haven't heard from me much, I have been with you throughout your journey feeling your emotions daily. I feel so full
of joy to think of your happiness as a family from now on.
however, I can't forget the sadness of leaving Marina behind.
My heart feels for all of you and I am still praying for a miracle.
Can't wait to hear from you.
love, Laura Aunt Laura to Yana