Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Goodbye, God Bless Marina

Those who sow in tears will reap with shouts of joy. Though one goes along weeping carrying the bag of seed, he will surely come back with shouts of joy, carrying his sheaves. Psalms 126:5-6

What a powerful promise that God gives us that grieve over our harvest that feels so lost. Where is the return on our investment? So much labor, love, sacrifice, and now pain. Where is the fruit to this. It is in the promise, there will be shouts of joy. What does the whole picture look like, I have no idea. All I know is God's promises are yes and amen, even when the harvest looks dead.

Marina is gone, she left as scheduled on Monday, July 14th. She left her summer vacation early and her adoption behind. She left with a smile on her face, a hug and kiss for Mama, and a hug and a kiss for Papa. Mama cried, Papa's eyes full of tears, and Marina with sparkles in her eyes and a sweet smile on her face. I don't get it, but I am sure that my parents didn't get me either. When I grew up, I didn't get myself when I was a teenager. I do have some theories, but who knows if I will ever find out if my hypothesis is correct. This may be one of those questions I have to put on my list of questions that can be answered on the other side of heaven. I just hope that instead of asking God the question, I will meet Marina there and I can ask her what happened. If that is the case we will be laughing hysterically, because Psalms 126 says so. I will accept the harvest on either side of heaven and be shouting with joy.

The one question most people ask is will we hear from her again? We never talked about it. We are leaving it up to her. She will have to write the first e-mail and we will respond. As long as she writes, we will respond. We have times that we want to know what happens to her and then times when we think it would be too painful. We will take whatever comes our way and use it for God's glory, because the bottom line is His glory. We left on good terms, she knows the depths of our love for her. Marina never missed being a part of our prayer time. When we got into the car to leave for the airport, at 5:00a.m., Marina was in the back seat with her pillow and a blanket over her head. I thought she was asleep. Rick and I prayed for the journey. As we started to pray I felt Marina's hand grab on to mine and her head lean against my shoulder. I am amazed at her desire to pray. I pray that she keeps on praying, even through the circumstances that will be ahead of her in the days to come. She knows that mama and papa will always pray for her.

The adoption process is started, the homestudy is underway. The direction has changed to Yana's brother, Koyla. Who ever dreamed the journey would include a 12 year old boy. I have come to know one thing is for sure, nothing in this journey is for sure. We are praying for God to open the doors for Yana and her brother to live together again, it is His picture. We have a frame that was given to us when we came home with Yana. It says "The Rahn Family". We never put a picture in there because we felt one person was missing. Marina will always be missing from the picture, but now I decided to wait to see if Koyla will complete the picture.

As much as I am in pain, I am fascinated by the story. There is a sense of mystery that gives me spark. All I know is in the end there is a promise of shouts for joy!
Fran

17 comments:

Heidi and Felix said...

You guys have made a huge impact in the lives of Marina. She will never forget you kindness and she will carry that forward on her life's journey. We know how you feel, we face an uncertain future with Zina and Rimma.

You also made a huge impact on other lives there...you introduced us to Frontier Horizons. As a result, we are hosting two wonderful sisters from Mariupol and we have plans to bring them into our family. So you see, God worked through you to help these two. Thank You!

I have a feeling that you haven't heard the last from Marina.

Heidi and Felix said...

Fran,

Today's encouraging word from K-Love is:

We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

~ 2 Corinthians 4:7, NLT

I couldn't say it better myself.

Debora Hoffmann said...

We will shout for joy with you some day, Rick and Fran! Marina will be all the better for the love you have given her and the example of trusting in the Lord.

And I am so excited to hear of your starting the adoption process for Kolya. That is so wonderful! Praise God! How precious it would be for Yana and Kolya to be together in the Rahn family. We will pray with you!

Tami said...

What a blessing you have been to Marina...one that will last for all eternity. We'll keep praying for her and for you in the coming weeks.
I can't wait to see what God has in store for all of you as you start this journey to bring Kolya home! ;>)

Annie said...

It all seems like a great mystery - especially now that there is a little boy whose life could be changed. I will await with interest what God does.

Passanita Family said...

Even though we see you guys regularly I always like to comment here as well. You are very good at communicating the grief and sorrow you guys have felt and that I have seen on your faces through this. Marina will at least have felt the love you have for her and Christ and hopefully be able to count on those resources in times of trouble.
We will always be walking with you through the valleys and up to the mountain tops.
We love you guys,
Passanita clan

Stefanie and Bill said...

I have really enjoyed following your challenging journey. Your faith and tenacity is very refreshing. I am sad for your family, because of what could have been. I am saddened more for Marina, because the choice she has made and what it could ultimately cost her. We pray with you that she fight her fleshly desires and seek God's plan for her life. We serve a big, gracious and loving God that is still writing the your family's story. I wish you much joy and peace as your family pursues God's will. Blessings, Stefanie

adopting2fromUkraine said...

What a journey your family has been on! I certainly can relate to the rejection you have been feeling. It brings back so many feelings that I thought I had already resolved. We had to wait until we were in Ukraine to be rejected, so at least God spared you in that respect.

You did everything you could to get Marina to realize the effects of her decision. We just never know how things are going to go when we decide to let God 'steer' us through life.

We'll be praying for Marina and for you.

June

Anonymous said...

What a shame things worked out the way they did. Good luck to you all in your newest endeavor. I hope there is a good outcome for this poor 15 year old teenager who really needs someone.

ArtworkByRuth said...

It's been a couple of days since her leaving and I pray that God continues to give you peace and wisdom for your next steps! I look forward to hearing the next chapters for you, Marina if she writes, and Koysta. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers! Your journey has been such a witness to the power of God in all situations. Because you blogged about bringing Marina on a hosting program this summer, we were able to bring "our" two girls home for a hosting this summer. God IS using you! This adoption journey is such an adventure in faith and trust.
We will continue to hold you up before our Lord.
Cindie

Anonymous said...

WOW- really thought things would work out for Marinia-not much time.  Hope all goes well with the new plan.  I pray that God will be with all of you

The Isbell Crew said...

Even though God makes His plans so obvious sometimes, it is still hard to accept them!!! We are (still) thinking of your family!!
The Isbells

Anonymous said...

I was reading this out loud for Mom and it was difficult to get through - I know it will be for Gretchan too.
This story is at a death of a vision! The promise will be next-God's plan!
Tony & Gretchan - Scot & Anna

Hi Rick & Fran, I will be praying for you- God knows best and has a reason for it all. I love you, Aunt Della

ArtworkByRuth said...

Just checking in, was trying on my pity-party dress for a while and thought I'd check on my friends to keep me from going to the ball...How are you?! Don't give up! Heb. 6:9!

Anonymous said...

Just checking in on your post- how is Yana doing?  I'll bet she is having a fantastic summer and probably, if not already, back into another school year!

Heidi and Felix said...

Fran, hope you and family are doing well.

We need to talk, our girls went back this week and we will not be going to get them after all. There were some "developments". Hope to hear from you soon.