Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Home Sweet Home


WE ARE ON OUR WAY HOME!!! The only thing that is standing between Rita and I being in America on Thursday is a U.S. Holiday. I have not run into one Ukrainian Holiday and now I sit waiting for an American holiday to pass. I am not all that sure that things would be different if the holiday were not there. I think we would still get out papers too late on Thursday to get the flight home. We left Berdyansk on Tuesday morning around 10:20. That was a very sad good-bye. Lots of tears were shed. Saying good bye to her friend, roommate, for 10 plus years was the hardest thing to do. I was very proud of Rita. For many teenagers the opportunity opens to leave and they can’t do it. I understand why. Everything you know and trust is left behind.
We arrived in Zaporizhya are 12:30. The birth certificate was changed in record time. We drove over to the passport office and within 2 hours we picked up the passport and were headed for the train. We arrived in Kiev in the early morning. We got an apartment, a pretty nice one at that. We arrived at the Embassy by 9:40, by 10:20 we were leaving the office and headed out for the physical. Backwards from the norm, but the embassy accepted that since it was a holiday on Thursday. We took off from there for the Medical Building for Rita’s physical. The last two days we did all the hurry up and waiting that my patients can take. All I wanted to do is fall a sleep this afternoon in the Medical Building.
Rita and I both agreed to hang-out in the apartment tonight. We are watching TV (all blah, blah, blah to me, but a nice picture and I don’t have to move). Tomorrow we will walk around Kiev and pick up a few last minute things. Then Friday we are off and ready to see America. I hope it is as beautiful weather wise as it has been the last few days in Ukraine. A big bonus for the last minute details that take place during an adoption.
See America soon. I am ready to prepare for the Holidays!

9 comments:

Kevin and Kim McCormack said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome, Fran! I pray your trip home is uneventful and smooth. I pray for the special grace that one needs to assist a teen into a new life.

Miriam and Jim said...

All we can say is "WOW"! I had stopped looking at your blog for quite awhile and I just decided to take a chance and look at it tonight! You guys - Amazing!!

We will be in prayer for you as you make the long journey home and will pray for a quick adjustment for everyone.

Passanita Family said...

Safe travels home for you and Rita! Can't wait to meet her and to welcome her and welcome you back home. Blessings all teh way around

adopting2fromUkraine said...

That's wonderful! I've been following along, just haven't commented.

Have a safe trip home,
June

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! We are so glad to hear you have gotten through everything. We are very happy for you all. Talk to you soon. Take care.

Steve, Jody and Christopher

GinaC said...

HI Aunt Franny,
We are excited you will be returning home and for the welcoming of Rita into the family. Have a safe trip. Your blog has been wonderful to read.
Can't wait to hear more about your experience and your family reunion.
Love and miss you.
Gina, Rob, Caden
I will share with my parents too, since they have trouble retrieving the blog. We all send lots of love.

Unknown said...

Fran, how exciting! God is good, what a journey you have traveled. Have a safe trip home, can't wait to see you and meet Rita and welcome her into our adoption family!
Blessings & Hugs,
Debbie

Anonymous said...

TERRIFIC NEWS!!!!!!! So so so happy for the Rahn Family!!!! Blessings on you all. Can't wait to see you!
~The Henrys

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see you are helping people out but if I reveal my name someone on here might know me